Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Astros shorts

Last month I posted a detailed account of the 1976 Chicago White Sox shorts saga.

I was at the Phillies/Astros game last night when I snapped this image during the pregame ceremonies. Now, I've seen this guy for years in the Astros dugout, but it never dawned on me he is actually wearing shorts to match the player uniforms. Very impressive. I did a pretty exhaustive search of the UNIWATCH archives before I concluded I couldn'tt find anything about this interesting uniform oddity.

A little research (greatly aided by the name on the back of his uniform jersey) and I quickly learned the guy in the shorts is Astros Strength and Conditioning Coach Gene Coleman. He is a professor at the University of Houston at Clear Lake and the author of the book:  52 Week Baseball Training (featuring former Astro Craig Biggio on the cover). Based on his resume, Dr. Gene started working with Astros in 1976. I have not yet been able to locate an image with him in a shorts version of the Tequila Sunrise Rainbow design made famous by the Astros. Rest assured, my quest has just begun and the search will continue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment