Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Familiar Faces / Strange Places: Don Sutton / Astros

I never really had a strong feeling either way about the Astros tequila sunrise uniforms. I always thought they looked a little funky, but since my team wasn't wearing them, I really didn't care that much.

I have to admit, every time I see Don Sutton wearing the orange sherbet rainbow, it looks a little strange to me. I grew up with Sutton in the classic Dodgers uniforms, but before the start of the 1981 season he signed as a free agent with Houston. He spent a season and a half in the Astrodome, accumulating, like he did his entire career, decent stats -- and then he was sent to the Brewers in August of 1982 for the stretch run of what would turn out to be the only AL pennant won in Milwaukee.

Sutton, who never finished higher than 4th in any Cy Young Award voting during his 23 year career, won 324 career games and was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1998.

1 comments:

Steve Gierman said...

I love those uniforms! I had completely forgotten that Sutton was with the Astros. Nice job!

Post a Comment