Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

On this day... Number 548

May 2nd, 1989. Philadelphia's Veterans Stadium. Houston Astros in town.

In the first inning, Phillies third baseman Michael Jack Schmidt takes Jim Deshaise's fastball deep to left field for his 548th, and final, home run of his Hall of Fame career. The Phils go on to lose the game to the Astros 12-4.

Schmidt would go on to play in 18 more games before retiring on May 30th.

''Over the years, I've set high standards for myself as a player, and I always said that when I couldn't live up to those standards I would retire, I no longer have the skills needed to make adjustments at the plate to hit or to make some plays in the field and run the bases.
I feel like I could ask the Phillies to keep me on to add to my statistics, but my love for the game won't let me do that.''

2 comments:

Cory said...

I actually hate to say this since the man actually came over and swam in our pool(my brother was in the same American Legion league as him)but Jim Thome needs to heed this advice.

Dick Allen Hall of Fame said...

It is exceedingly difficult to decide when a hall of fame career should end. Very few exit the big stage gracefully.

I love Jim Thome... but I think the end is near. I hope the club doesn't make the decision for him by releasing him and he gets at least one more home run in a Phils uniform.

Post a Comment